>> At best, I do not expect them
>> ever to exceed student grade

> Precisely the sort of thing that, as a kid in the
> early '60s, I heard my father's friends say about
> Japanese cars, cameras, electronics, etc.

Well, there are some parallels to be drawn, but there are also other
considerations. In
the overall scheme of things, I expect Korea to emerge as "the next Japan"
before China
does. Japan has already turned to Korea and China to produce certain components
of
"quality Japanese-made" goods to keep the costs down, thereby protecting their
market
share by closing the back door.

For instance, in the motorcycle world, several of the Japanese bikes have
components and
systems made in China. Often the Chinese parts are of the cast variety (molten
metal
poured into a mold) as the rough Chinese finish can be cleaned-up by cheap (for
now)
Chinese labor.

However, the Koreans (of the Southern persuasion) are on the move, and have
apparently
done so well producing some of the more precision parts that a few ENTIRE
Japanese
motorcycles are COMPLETELY made there in South Korea.

So, based on the above, I would expect Yamaha, having emerged as a "quality
brand," to
protect its market share by having raw parts made all over the world, each
country
contributing what it does best and cheapest. One might think that rough valve
sets and
certain formed tubing might be made in China, finished in Korea, and assembled
in major
market areas... such as (in my case) the USA. Then you have the cheapness of
foreign labor
allied with the "perceived precision" of Japanese-manufactured consumer goods,
all
gathered-up behind the banner of a major brand "Made In The USA" (again, in my
case).

If history is a good teacher (and it is), no Yamaha assembly line horn will
ever knock off
the best craftsman-built horns; Yamaha will either 1) endeavor to keep the
small maker
"small," or 2) buy him out. And you may fill-in your favorite niche-maker here.
What
science and industry can do is to, eventually, help an assembly line horn
APPROACH the
best custom horns at around 1/2 the price. And is this not what's happening
now? If we
were to stick the Lawsons, Dan Rauch, Patterson, etc., on a time clock, how
long do you
think they could stay interested in giving their best?

<spoken with thunder from on high>
"Alright Walter, you've been fitting that 1st valve slide for 5-minutes now!
Just stick
the thing together and MOVE ON!"

<bellowed by Neanderthanlesqe union goon into cramped work cubicle>
"Hey Rauch, you'se only got deese heah five bells made? You'se is s'posed to
have TEN. Get
'em done by day's end or GO FIND YUHSELF ANUDDAH JOB, CHUMP!"

Private experimentation drives the state-of-the-art, and mass production
institutionalizes
it. We need both.

Pretty soon, all of China will be Wal-Mart's shill, but only until the lion
grows teeth
big enough to eat the guy with the whip & chair.

jrc in SC