--- Jay Kosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For me (amateur player, not particularly
> strong..), using a mpc with too
> large throat causes airy sound and short
> endurance, especially in the
> upper range. Bore size of about 11-12 is most
> useful for me, on Y668N.

Walter Lawson strongly recommends a size 11 bore on
his cups, but will go to a 9 or 10, if asked.  The
last I heard, he will not drill anything larger.

When I was in college in the late 1960s, the theory
was use a small bore mouthpiece with a large bore
horn.  Both my wife and I have experimented with
this idea over the years, and at one time we were
both using size 4 bores (Giardinelli and Atkinson,)
with average results.  Now, I'm on a size 16 with
my Alexander, and she's using a 14 on her 8D, and
our playing has not only improved, but become much
more stable.  We also blend better.  Been using
these sizes for at least ten years.  Different
makes, at times, but always small bore.

Wilbert in SC

http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/wkkimple%40prodigy.net