The 503 is indeed a good horn. They have made a few mainly cosmetic improvements to it since it was introduced, but it is more or less the same instrument as before.
Although concieved as a student instrument, it is played by quite a few pros as well. The principal horn player in Wuppertal has just got one and sounds very good on it.
I was living near Mainz a few years ago and had the opportunity to play on several for quite a while. I found them very consistent, though the sound quality was not as smooth as I would like it when playing loud and high.
I believe they are mostly built by apprentices which bodes well for the future of German horn building. Especially if, as appears to be a trend currently, more Alexander-trained craftsmen set up on their own as builders.

best Wishes,

Benno

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello to all,

this is my first posting to this list so please excuse me if I do something
wrong...

Surfing the Alexander web site (www.gebr-alexander.com) I saw that they already
won a high German award for their entry level model 503 this year - again.

Isn't it quite interesting that they have succeeded with the same model after
ten years? Does that mean, that other manufacturers cannot compete with
Alexander - even with a ten year old horn? Or do you think that Alexander has
developed the model a lot further since 1995?

Since this award is organised by the German federal Ministry of Trade and
Commerce I assume that the result is really a serious proof for Alexanders
quality.

Anyhow - if anybody of them is listening here - I draw my hat (do you say that
in English?) and congratulate for this huge success - and will hurry to test
this obviously magnificent horn.

What do you think?