Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Baumann repertoire question

 From: Peter Hirsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:22:59 -0500

 To: Jennifer-Catherine Ludlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Jennifer,

Thanks. I am well acquainted with the Borodin and, unfortunately, it is not
the piece on the tape. I have been playing the horn for over 40 years and
always been a "repertoire maven" in addition to working for one of the
world's largest music research libraries (NYPL) and that is why it
surprises me to come up against a substantial work for horn that is totally
unfamiliar to me. It initially sounds like a Russian song transcription,
but goes on through several dramatic sections that do not sound at all
vocal in origin. It is also much longer than anything that would be played
as an encore (the Borodin is only about a minute and half long) and, on my
tape, comes after only 3 previous selections, which would be an unusually
short program, even for a horn recital.

Thanks again, though the mystery remains unsolved,

Peter