From: "Ray & Sonja Crenshaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Hornlist] Guns and Horns (no Roses)

The "strange" thing about this horn is, in actuality, what OUGHT to be strange
on every horn. That being, the sides of the horn are stacked so as to put the shorter,
hard-to-reach slides on top so that they're not... uhhh, "hard to reach."

Bb on top, F on the bottom.

The only reason I can see that horns aren't made this way is that it doesn't
appear QUITE as pretty as hiding the shorties underneath. Other than that,
I can't see why they're not all that way.

It can be difficult to get the F slides past the bell when you withdraw them. You can see that the whole valve cluster on most double horns is not in line with the leadpipe and bell, but at an angle to them, for that reason.

Putting the shorter Bb slides under the F slides (thus closer to the bell) makes more sense, usually.