From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:08 AM
To: 'The Horn List'
Subject: [Hornlist] notation

There is again a confusion between partial & natural tones. The
numbering starts with the fundamental , if we go for the natural pitches
(tones), but starts an octave higher, if we go for the partials ????????

Then all numbering would become crazy.

O.k. letīs start over again. The fundamental is number 1, the octave
above (our low C) is number 2, the open g below staff is number 3, while
the c1 (middle c) on the first ledger line below staff is number 4. The
row continues with e1 as 5, g1 as 6, bb1 (bit flat) as no.7 & c2 as
number 8, which is followed up by d2 as no.9, e2 as no.10, f2 (bit
sharp) as no.11, g2 as no.12, g#(too sharp)-a2(too flat) as no.13, bb2
as no.14, b-nat2 as no.15 & finally c3 as no.16.

You see the arithmetics ? Octaves have the number volume doubled, which
cannot be the case if we start numbering from  the first partial on
upwards & leaving the fundamental unnumbered. Right ?

C = 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16
G = 3 - 6 - 12 - 24 (g3)
E = 5 - 10 - 20 (high e3 as there are all half steps possible : c, c#,
d, d#, e)

By the way, I have never had any difficulty entering with the
fundamental on the F-Horn, no matter single Viennese or on the doubleīs
F-side. A below the fundamental (fingered with F-3) is reachable always
but without strength as it needs crazy much air. Using my regular
Viennese type mouthpiece.

Prof.Hans Pizka, Pf.1136
D-85541 Kirchheim - Germany
Fax: 49 89 903-9414 Phone: 903-9548