On Thursday, January 13, 2005, at 06:04 PM, Benno Heinemann wrote:

I have only ever seen horn parts (also very old ones) for the Royal Fireworks Music which are written as sounding (or an octave higher to be exact) with 2 sharps in the key signature and marked "horn in C" (But always played on D Horns).

This I HAVE seen. I am ready and willing to play regular horn in D parts

If I understand you properly you are seeing this for the first time which means you are jolly lucky considering the length and breadth of your horn playing career.

But anything is possible in the land of unlimited opportunities in which you live.

Or are you saying you have been given proper D-horn parts for the first time? I know transposed parts are more common in the US, but usually into F.

No, We were given horn parts written in concert pitch (8va) in the key of D. This required us to use C transposition so we had to play in written key of A major for horn. I had a mental block as I am used to playing a G when I see a C on the staff in horn notation. We were to use regular C transposition but had to wind up in concert D. In a sense, I transposed as for Eb horn to written scale of C and played it in D horn. One step too many for speed. I shall have to practice hard or rewrite the part properly.

Didn't Lawrence Yates mention this strange aberration recently on one of the lists?

I think he mentioned it as conventional notation for Horn in D. THAT is what I wish we had.

Paul Mansur