Well, I've got a decade on you, and it doesn't get easier. The trick is--cheat.
C is a piece of cake: use Bb fingerings on the F side. For Bb, of course, you
use F fingerings on the Bb side. Concert bass clef: read it like it's treble in
Eb, except add two sharps, not flats, and down an octave. For D, most of the
notes are open, so play F12 and learn the exceptions, e.g. push the trigger for
F at the top of the staff. Keep it up, and eventually you will be reading the
key and not cheating. I'm not all the way there yet.

Many will look down on this, but it's a way of getting there. Youngsters should
just learn to transpose while their brains are more plastic than mine.

Herb Foster