There's one other sort of concern from what might be considered the opposite
direction.  My son doesn't like to think and he's got a very good ear - I
regularly get reports back from school that he seems to be able to play
everyone else's part on either the horn or the trumpet, and this is just
from listening to it, not from reading and transposing.   My son already
sits around and plays songs he knows in different keys - the trick will be
getting him to _read_ in different transpositions.  I'm the same way -
earlier today I tried playing some of the new-to-us horn duets I'd picked up
last night in different keys but they were already in my ear enough that I
really wasn't reading much at all.

By the way, it's for people like this that, at Mannes, part of the program
was reading the names of the notes out loud and in rhythm _without_ being
allowed to sing them.  It was also our main vehicle for learning and
practicing clefs.  I know there's a school of thought that says, "well, if
he can do it, who cares how?" but I am not of that school since I think the
by-ear approach will bite you in the behind once the music becomes
difficult.

-S-