This was said at my lesson.

“Nothing's good unless it's perfect.”

- John Simonelli

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:40:16
To:horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: Profound remarks

Anton Horner: "There are two types of horn players and they are not HIGH and
LOW.  They are GOOD and BAD!"

Anton Horner:  "You've got to have THE STUFF!"

Mason Jones: "Get the right notes, the right rhythm and don't play too loud.
It's a business."

Mason Jones: "Not so good.  Bring that one back next week."

Mason Jones: "That was good.  Do the next one."

Ward Fearn: "The whole idea is to get better than everyone else."

Ward Fearn:  "If you can play all 60 Kopprasch well and play a good long tone
on every note of the range, you can get a job."

Ward Fearn:  "You've got to be ready for anything in this business.  What if
George Szell calls me right now for a recommendation?"

Sol Schoenbach (to a bassoonist in our octet):  Why?  Why?  You go to the
Julliard School of Music and you play like that!  Why?

Curtis student in WW class:  "Gosh, Mr. DeLancie, I don't know what happened.
 It sounded great at home!"  JDL:  "OK.  We'll have class next week at your
house!"

John DeLancie (to a student who had resigned from Curtis at the end of the
term):  So, (name withheld to protect the guilty), I hear you are not returning
to The Institute next year.  Are you getting out of music?"  Student: "I'm
going to study conducting."  JDL: "Oh!  So you ARE getting out of music!"

Stanislaw Skowaczewski to me in the hallway before Bruckner 9:  "Kendall, are
you all warmed off?"

SS to Dave Kamminga and me during rehearsal of Mozart Bb violin concerto:
Horns, ees sounds great, but, sometimes, ees could be a little less."  KB:
"You
mean a little less great?"

Ormandy:  "Don't be afraid of them.  There is no reason to be nervous.  But,
whatever happens, TRY NOT TO CRACK!"

Young, arrogant, upstart, fancy pants guest conductor:  "Mr. Jones, please
play the solo this way, (sings solo).  MJ:  No. No.  I'd rather play it
musically."  (orchestra shuffles feet).

KB