If you'll forgive a response from a novice horn player but an otherwise
experienced music teacher, a couple of observations:

1.  A teacher will sometimes ask you to make a major change in the way you
do things - if this is a new teacher, no further explanation is needed; if
this person has been your teacher for some time, it may be that they didn't
feel you were ready for the change, for whatever reason, until now.   You
must decide if this is a teacher you trust - if it is, then you should
follow their advice, and if you don't trust your teacher, you should find
another teacher.  That last point is worth reitereating - you need to trust
your teacher, and if you don't, find another teacher, but if you do, then do
as you're being asked.

2.  From what little I know about the horn, your teacher's advice makes
sense to me.  Every time I improve on the horn, if feels like I've got more
lip inside the mouthpiece, and that reaching a relatively high note is no
longer the feat of athleticism it was before.  Farkas makes a good point in
his book - he says to push yourself past what you can do regularly but not
to overdo it - if you stay in your comfort zone, you'll never improve, but
by the same token, pushing yourself usually means using less than perfect
technique to get to something you've never gotten to before - after all, if
you could already do it, it wouldn't be pushing yourself.

For me, regularly doing what you describe, which is kind of pinching my
embouchure for lack of a better way to put it - I guess it's more like
stretching than pinching - has been a way to try to reach notes higher than
I could play well, but doing just the right amount of that has helped me
finally learn to play another note or two higher _without_
stretching/pinching.  In other words, a little bit of stretch/pinch is OK as
you learn to play higher, but it should only happen on notes you don't
really yet know how to play, and it should go away after a while.  I imagine
someone here will respond with words to the effect of, "One should never
have to stretch the embouchure like that" and, as a novice, I can't really
argue, except to say that building strength and endurance is funny business
and how it happens is often unique to the individual; for me, I need to go
through cycles of overdoing followed by backing off in order to eventually
get somewhere.  I notice that I often have my best days playing after
several miserable days in a row followed by a day off - the day off turns
the misery of the past few days into something useable - miraculous but I'm
glad it happens.

Your teacher's advice sounds good to me.  Again, I am a novice but what your
teacher is saying jibes with my experience on the horn thus far and with my
30+ years of music teaching and playing other instruments.

The only piece of advice I can offer in closing is that it would be good to
make such a change in your embouchure during a period of time when you do
_not_ have to audition or perform - you don't want the pressure of having to
play high because that will hinder the relearning process you need to go
through.

-S-