This brings back memories of a pysics wave lab setup I built back in college
that was so annoying I can't resist describing it to a younger generation.  My
son has an old EMU emulator that he was able to program for a full keyboard
using this concept.

Because I alredy had a reputation for being obnoxious and annoying, the
instructor isolated me in in a cinder block storage room containing all kinds
of neat stuff, including signal generators and transducers (horn speakers).  It
didn't take me long to discover the interesting properties of two audio
oscillators operating at high power above the human audible range, but beating
at a quite audible frequency.  Meanwhile, I set up some of Cabbage's standard
rope tricks to show to my unsupecting victims, then watched them go slowly nuts.

Come to think of it, Tippet would probably love to write a concerto for it.