May I raise another textual/performance question for Prof. Pizka and the collective wisdom of the list?

The beautiful fascimile edition of Strauss 1 for horn and piano ALSO shows us that the composer had second thoughts about the end of the first movement [about 8 bars of tutti crossed out] and about the solo part in the finale [in the 4-4 recitative before the coda, 14 bars before the passage previously under discussion AND at the very end.

The recent Strauss collected edition is, alas, anything but a critical edition as it reprints without comment or emendation the text of the Universal Edition score, including the questionable reading of the passage previously discussed.

I have a recollection of hearing a commercial recording which at least incorporated the ORIGINAL state of the end of the first movement [easily scored to match the rest]; I'm not sure about any of the changes in the finale. Any idea who did this, and perhaps what justification was given?

My subjective impression is that all the changes in the piano/horn MS improved the piece, but this may be based on having known and loved it in its "traditional" form since I was a kid [learing it from the first Dennis Brain recording], and conducting it con amore for some 40 years now.

Best wishes--

Joel Lazar

Postscript: If there are any more copies of the facsimile available, BUY one for yourself, it's a treat to the eyes. I like MS facsimiles and this is one of the few affordable ones out there.

Usual disclaimers of commercial interest.