With string action, the valve levers can be adjusted upward or down farther.
You could add a leather hand guard which would move you out a fraction; and you
may need to curve your fingers as if grasping a ball loosely.   This should
move the tips of your fingers back a bit; quite a bit if your fingers are
extended straight over the spatulas.   If none of that help much, get a leather
hand-strap holder from Osmun and work your hand position at a lowered position.

CORdially, Mansur's Answers