Hey all!  In the interests of sharing pet pieces and expanding everyone's
repertoire, I thought it would be fun to have a thread where everyone lists
favorite pieces they're familiar with that they think are great compositions
but are underrepresented and not widely known amongst hornists.  In particular
I was thinking of pieces written for horn and piano, but of course solo horn
pieces, concertos, and anything else is great as well.  I am always looking for
really outstanding pieces to work on that I don't have to worry about my studio
peers also playing =)

I'll go first: an absolutely outstanding piece that completely deserves to be
in the mainstream repertoire but isn't is Jane Vignery's 1942 Sonata for Horn
and Piano, Op. 7.  An excellent recording is available at
http://www.linfoulk.org for those interested.  I asked this question to Erik
Ralske when the NY Philharmonic passed through town last month and his answer
was Gounod's Six Melodies for Horn and Piano (James Sommerville on Marquis
Classics).  He also mentioned that he doesn't understand why Reinecke's trio
for clarinet, horn, and piano doesn't get the exposure it deserves while his
trio for oboe, horn, and piano does.  So let's hear it, everyone!

Looking forward to replies,
Kyle

P.S.  I'm probably making a last-minute substitution in my recital and now I'm
playing Bozza's En Irlande.  I know absolutely no outside information about the
piece and can't even find a recording on amazon.com (although I know there's
one on Robin Dauer's French music recital CD but I don't have access to that)
so if anyone can tell me anything about the piece specifically that would be
good for program notes, please let me know in a post or off-list.  Thanks!