Hello Bob, I did not expect such an advice from a respected
teacher as you are. Why do you blow into the same super
friendly horn instead telling the young players that THEY
must care first that the valves DO NOT accumulate this green
stuff ? Simply, they do not care much about their instrument
(not only the musical instrument !). Thatīs it !!!! (There
are exceptions, who produce extreme aggressive saliva and
are not happy with this fact !)

Yes, excessive tensions on the strings slows down the valve
action, a problem to be solved very quickly. But chemical
use, quite dangerous. I cannot repeat it too often. If this
is necessary, it should be done by the expert repairmen only
not by those who think they were experts. And, the alloy of
the horn rotors & valve cases are more or less the same
affected by chemicals or resistant to them.

The other theory (brought up here on the list few days ago
by another member) of misaligned slides creating different
(air) pressure inside affecting the opening of the valves,
my goodness, how many times should it increase the pressure
to slow down the valve action ?

Last comment: is it necessary to play the valve action at
maximum speed like a flute or clarinet, or is it better if
the valve works exactly in closing & opening ? What is more
important in the music: valve speed or tone quality or
number of notes played or quality of the notes ?

I cannot understand why some people have the Foerster (just
an example) as their favourite piece ? Do they have
difficulties producing any fine cantilena or any melody
containing longer notes than 1/8ths ?