YEs, I teach the D as 1st valve unless you want something really smooth and want the C-D-E on the open F horn

Richard Burdick
1st Horn Regina Symphony
Regina, SK Canada
Certified Konzertstuckable

"At my most recent lesson, I was playing a passage from early on in the
Horner method that started on third space C and went up C-D-E. Because I'm
playing a single F horn, I was playing all three as open. Chris suggested I
finger the D with the first valve held down, a fingering which I was aware
of but hadn't really used much (ninth partial of concert E-flat instead of
8th partial of F).

Playing around with this on my own for the first few days after the lesson,
I decided I liked this fingering, and since then I've changed my default
fingering for written fourth line D from open to 1. My guess is that this
works because, for lack of a better way to put it, it makes the targets
further apart.

I'm curious to know if this agrees with others' experience.

Thanks.

-S-"