On Saturday, March 26, 2005, at 01:34 PM, Shanna Hollich wrote:

The rest of your comments were pretty much what I
expected and were helpful - I appreciate it.  (You
better believe that Kopprasch and I are becoming fast
friends, heh.)

Something else I find interesting - you suggested
working on the low range (particularly around pedal C)
in order to help my high range.  I've heard this
suggestion many times before, and I've done it in the
past and lo and behold - it works!  I've always
wondered why this should be the case?

Look at it this way. You must relax the embouchure, you learn to use a lot of air, you move the air slowly and from deep down in your support system, you learn to hold the breath flow VERY steady in order to sustain a solid tone, etc. etc. All of that transfers very well to the high range by reversing the tendency to pinch the breath, to lock up the embouchure with tension, etc. Set up an imaginary set of baskets in front of you in a line stretching far in front of you. The lowest note you can play is the first basket in the line, and the higher notes are lined out in front of you. Project your notes so that they fall in the baskets an appropriate distance in front of you, and high f above high c''' is the farthest note/basket in the line stretching away from you. Then try playing some scales, and gradually work up to higher and higher scales proportionately farther away from you. Never blow AT the horn, blow through it and project the notes out in front of you; and see what happens. While you do all this, feel your lower teeth supporting the rim through the lower lip and try to keep the upper lip reasonably softer than the lower lip. Keep that ratio and proportion as your embouchure gets firmer going to the higher notes. Then let me know how you get along.

CORdially, Paul Mansur