From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of Alex Damon
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:53 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Bass clef

Hello all,

An offhand comment on the list a couple days ago prompted me to bring up the
following question:

I have been aware for a while now that in music written for horn in bass
clef there are two different notations; "old bass clef" which skips an
octave and the more correct "new bass clef" notation.  What is confusing me
is, when bass clef comes up, how to tell which is being used?  I know it
would be simplistic to ask for the specific year/month/day that the world
suddenly switched from one to the other, but is there at least a generally
recognized period when the newer notation became common?

Thanks for any help on this,

'Pilot Al'