You misunderstood me, Hans. Of course we aim for the cultivated sonority, as my
conductor made clear. For the low passage in Schostakovich 5 he wants a full
sound, not blatty.

My point was that some teachers, as a pedagogical technique, introduce the
student to the air requirements of the low range by asking the student to
blast. That is how I interpret what Farkas wrote. After that comes the real
work of controlling it and getting a good sound. You may disagree with the
pedagogy, of course, but we are all after the same result. We have a saying,
"Different strokes for different folks." We all learn in a different manner.

Herb Foster