Steve, this is far the best concept, talking very loudly. So
is it with the horn. Playing the loud notes with all
possible SONORITY and NOT with the MAXIMUM of PUMPED AIR
through the squeezed lips.

To achieve this sonority, one must have the lips under full
control but keeping them relaxed the same time. The air must
be RELEASED and NOT PUSHED or PUMPED. The air is just to
SUPPORT the sound and not to FORCE the sound.

But with thse popular narrow cup like mouthpieces, with the
flat cup, thick rim & very narrow bore, HOW SHOULD THINGS
FUNCTION ? No way !!! All blast will not help.

If all try to "SPEAK LOUDLY" or "VERY LOUDLY", as you
recommended, they could play the horn with full sonority
even in the low range, and not just FART the low notes
without control. They should try to play these low notes in
the softer dynamics. After they have conquered this
particular terrain, they should enforce it dynamic wise by
releasing more air as a support. It should require a bit
more open lip position ( By the way, this is a big problem
for many, many players: to have the appropriate lip opening
!!!) AND a bit more air release. So step by step, absolutely
controlled regarding sound quality, the low range will be
better.

And the Shostakovich 5: if played as BLAST, it is an
absolutely ORDINARY passage, but if played with great
sonority it sounds impressive.