On "job actions" in general. . .

I have a good friend, a retired General, who observed that management
usually gets the unions it deserves.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:27 AM
To: 'The Horn List'
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Musician Strikes

Hello, I experienced some musician strikes and other strikes
(petrol station, train network, airline). The musicians
striked often because their salary was overdue for several
days, means, the salary was not on their bank account or not
transfered to the bank at all. But the theatres waited to
get the money from the goverment or the city or the cities
from the province or the province from the central
goverment.

Musicians also went on "sciopero" to push a "cattivo"
conductor out or to protest against an "engagement" of an
unwelcome new colleague as the orchestra had no say
regarding hiring a new member. When some lighting problems
occurred & were not cleared for long, the orchestra went on
a short "sciopero". It is not a passion in Italy, it was &
still is the only way to get some things done.

In the "profane world" (outside the arts), this way of life
are getting more "popular" as soon as multinational trusts
are involved. Payment is transferred late to the
subcompanies, how big they would be, no matter. My son, who
is in the computer hard ware business, experienced that
quite often. Salary comes late for up to ten days. But they
have no chances for strike, while a musicians strike in a
big theatre produces turbulences or a big blame for the
authorities.