Short "a", as in "father."

When singing, ideally the throat is open for all vowels.

For "ah" the mouth is also wide open and the tongue flat.  Gradually raising
the tongue causes "ah" to become "a" as it "cat", then "eh", a sound which
doesn't really exist in English and is instead usually mangled into what's
known as a vanishing diphthong, followed by "i" as in "hit" and finally
ending in "ee" as in "feet."

Closing the mouth changes "ah" into "aw", then "oh", another sound not
really present in spoken English, then finally "oo" as in "boot."

In languages other than American English, some combinations of a raised
tongue and a closed mouth may be found, e.g., Goethe (properly written with
an umlaut 'o' which I don't know how to do on my American keyboard), "u"
with an umlaut as in the German word for "brother," most famously remembered
by me as part of Goethe's text in Beethoven's Ninth Symphony's final
movement.

Lest the most important concept be lost in the diction soliloquy above, let
me repeat: When singing, ideally the throat is open for all vowels.

-S-