I start most of my beginner students on an appropriately sized horn - either
double or F.  The first lessons are without instrument: singing, matching
pitches and intervals, recognizing intervals that I play on horn and piano,
and buzzing.  Breathing exercises also are important at this time.  Then I
add the mouthpiece to the mix, and the student matches the pitch and then
intervals I play.  After all of this, we begin on open F horn.  I can
describe specific exercises if anyone is interested.  Improvisation is also
started at the beginning - first rhythmically, then vocally, and then on the
horn - even if the student knows only one note, improvisation is possible.
Ellen Manthe