I would have to say that for the most part, beginners should start on a double
horn. There are many reasons:
1. Parents don't pay for a horn that is unusable in a year or so and
   pay only slightly more for a more usable instrument.

2. Students can acclaimate more easily and advance more quickly

3. Comfort with the instrument

4. Less frustration with the limitations of a single instrument( not
   all band directors pick pieces that are within range of a single for
   5th and 6th graders - happens too often).

5. Makes instrutors happy because there is less stress of advancement (
   private and ensemble)