Since there's not much going on here on the list, and since this is going on
over at
e-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7317410797

...I'd like to take this opportunity to inquire about the innate goodness of
these horns.

For those too jaded to follow the link, it's a YHR-863, Yamaha's version of a
Schmidt
piston-change valve double. I remember seeing these in a Yamaha brochure back
in the early
90's but I've never actually seen a real one.

This one on e-Bay has been listed at least three times (possibly more, I don't
know) and
has gone, not only unsold, but unbid-upon. I saw it was $3,500 USD with no
bids, then
$3,200 and no bids, and now it's listed at $3,000 and six days left to do
business. The
BUY-IT-NOW price has always been $3,500.

Q: Considered on their own terms, how do these horns play?

Q: Compared to a real Schmidt, how do these horns play? How's the high Bb? Did
Yamaha's
acoustic engineers succeed in replicating the "burr" (Dave Krehbiel's term) on
this note?

Q: Do these horns project? ...or do they just make pretty--but local--noise?

And no, I'm not going to bid on it. It's just curiosity on my part. I won't be
driving out
to Bellevue, Washington to try it out, so I'm asking for a "virtual trial" on
the list
here. If you've owned or played one, I'm interested in hearing from you.

jrc in SC