Hello Bill, You can read our article on rotor valve maintenance at our site http://www.osmun.com/reference/Rot_Maint.htm Feel free to download and print as many copies as you need for yourself, friends, and students.

Jim Becker
Osmun Music
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.osmun.com (web site)

(781)646-5756 (Phone)
(781)646-2480 (Fax)
(800)223-7846 (Toll Free in U.S.)

-

---- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Gross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "'The Horn List'" <horn@music.memphis.edu> Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 8:22 AM Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Valve Bearing Slack

There is an old expression "the only dumb question is the one that isn't
asked," (well, unless the Cabbage gets hold of your question).  Anyway, I
figured it's about time in my horn career to ask this one since I've owned
an 8D since 1963.  What is the proper procedure to oil the valves?  Horn
didn't come with instructions so over the years I've oiled it in a most
haphazard fashion, hitting the places on and around the valves I thought
needed oil.

I've taken the valve caps off and oil the rotor and turned it upside down
and tried to find places there to oil as well. I'd make a guess and oil, so
what is the "school solution?"