From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Walter E. Lewis
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 6:06 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] I'm Too Nervous

Hi Everyone,

I have to agree totally with Ellen and Gary. I would like to
relate a story about the chairman of the Music Dept. at
Harding University. Dr. Erle T.
Moore was answering questions one morning in his music
theory class (I know this to be true, I was there) and a
young woman was complaining about the number of Music Dept.
Recitals just before the close of the spring semester. To
answer her question about the number of recitals we were
required to attend he simply replied, "My dear children,
Music is Performance". One must learn how to be comfortable
performing, and the only way is to perform. I use almost the
same kind of analogy when my students are preparing for
State Solo and Ensemble. They usually cringe the first year
they go to state and have to sight read. I tell them the
only way they will become comfortable is to sight read a lot
of music...

My .02 on this thread.

Walt Lewis

At 12:57 PM 4/27/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>I totally agree with Gary.  I have noticed that my students
who play
>regularly in church or for relatives or in similar "little
or no pressure"
>situations do the best on auditions, tryouts, and school
playing tests,
>even though the material they play may differ with the
situation.  So I
>recommend that a person play as often as possible -
volunteer to play
>hymns or patriotic tunes at a nursing home; play at church
or church
>activities; play for relatives - they are interested in
your
>accomplishments.  You will share your gift of music with
others as well
>as preparing yourself for auditions and adjudicated
performances.
>Think of playing, no matter what the situation, as a chance
to share
>your music and the wonderful  sound of the horn.
>Ellen
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Unfortunately, the best way to beat any kind of anxiety
is to
> > continually put yourself in situations that create the
anxiety, as
> > many on the list have already told you. Performance
anxiety
> > decreases in relation to the amount of performances you
give.

> > In the mental health field, we call it "immersion
therapy."

> > Performance-enhancing drugs (Inderal) are a last resort,
and should
> > only be tried after everything else.
> >
> > Gary Suits, MSW, ACSW

4/27/2005