In a message dated 5/6/2005 11:28:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Fellow colleagues,
> Here is a great example of why to be careful when using eBay.
> Check out item # 7321051354      Conn 8D
> read the write up carefully and then go to their feedback and check out the
> item they bought
> #7310468415       Conn 8D
>
> Read their comments about the bell, and then look closely at the engraving,
> it is close, but not the same as on a C series 8D.

The work some people go to.  I think they paid too much for the horn.  When
you figure $1200 for the horn carcass, plus a set of bell rings and a new
flare, and they probably had to run the rotors through the collet squeezer to
get
the right feel to the valves.  They seemed to do a nice job buffing, and didn't
obliterate the engraving.  I can't see where they may have redone the
engraving, but that would fall in to the same status as counterfeiting a $1
bill.
Since they offer your money back, I can't see the reasoning behind making false
claims.  My own opinion is that if they used a decent thickness flare coupled
with the screw rings, they probably improved the horn.  All in all, they
appear to have done a nice restoration competently.  The proof is in the
playing.
They have enough confidence in themselves that they offer the horn on trial
for a week.  It would be interesting to see if the rotors are plated.

I'm not sure how to view an outfit such as this.  There is clearly blatant
misrepresentation of the history of the horn, but if the work was done as
neatly
as it appears, the horn should be an outstanding player.  What would a
reputable shop charge for a new flare, valve rebuild, and cosmetic work that
appears
not to have taken off much material, and made the horn quite elegant?  If the
restoration will stand up to a week of professional scrutiny, whoever buys it
and keeps it, attests to the fact that the horn does perform.  For a purchase
this major, one would expect buyer remorse would be comparable to buying one
new.

I would not enjoy being fooled in this way, but if the horn plays well, where
is the harm?  I would feel more embarrassment, than harm.  I guess I don't
much care what they tell me as long as I have recourse to evaluate the end
result.  From now on, I'll assume the presence of a screw bell indicates the
original flare was trashed.  I guess dealing with this just requires developing
some
skill in the wayward arts of life.