Jerry Houston wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
> > In this march excerpt, which goes in a fast 2/4
> >
> > http://www.kbnj.com/music/Horn_Fingering_Question.pdf
> >
> > I've found the A-G#-A to weird to play as 1-2, 2-3, 1-2 on
> the B-flat
> > horn, so I've elected to take the A as open on the B-flat horn
> > instead.
>
> If you decide to go with the open A, I'd use 2 for the G#.
> Both would be a little on the flat side, but probably not all
> that bad, and you might be able to pull your hand partway out
> of the bell fast enough to compensate.
> Since those notes are so brief, probably nobody would notice anyway.

That's actually what I've been doing (and I should have said that in my
original message).  It makes the two sections use the same fingering of
open, 2, open, which nice for a beginner like me.

3, 2-3, 3 seems like it might be just as easy and also more in tune, so I'm
going to try that as well.

I've received several replies off the list as well - thank you, everyone,
for your comments and suggestions, including the one that I tough it out
with the standard fingering.  I've playing an exercise from the Horner book
with this same sequence but slower, and for that I'm using the standard
fingering so that I get used to it, but this is just too fast for me to do
that here at my current level of facility with the horn.

-S-