At 5:25 AM -0700 5/8/05, Herbert Foster wrote:
>In spite of what some say about "false" fingerings, you sometimes need to do
>what works. Until your fingers get fast enough, use the T3-T23-T3. The
>downside
>is that you have to take the time during practice to learn the alternate
>fingerings for each passage that requires it. In a piece I'm playing there's a
>trill on 4th space E: E-D#... Even the experienced amateurs were having
>trouble
>with T2-T1 because they didn't know the alternate fingering T3-T23, which
>comes
>out a lot cleaner.

For half step trills, find a fingering for the lower note that uses second
valve. Wiggle it.

For whole step trills, find a fingering for the lower note that has the
closest to a whole step above it without a change of fingerings, and that's
your lip trill fingering.

As far as I know, on an F/Bb horn the lowest note that doesn't have a
half-step trill fingering is the G below the treble clef, and the lowest
reasonable whole-step trill is second-line E, fingered 1, 2 and 3 on F horn.

Carlberg Jones
Guanajuato, Gto.
MEXICO