If memory serves, how well frequencies "travel" has to do with their size
(wavelength) relative to the obstacles they encounter on their journey.  The
longer the wavelength (and therefore the lower the pitch) in relation to the
obstacle, the better it "gets around" whatever might be in its way.  That's
why, e.g., curtains and other furniture, even human bodies and clothing,
tend to "absorb" higher frequencies while not disturbing the lower ones as
much.

Again, if memory serves, how far a frequency will travel unobstructed before
it dissipates into inaudibility is also related to how long the wavelength
is, although it also depends on the medium through which the sound is
traveling and how well that medium "matches up" to the frequency in
question, e.g., putting your ear to the ground to listen for a train in the
distance you otherwise can't hear just by standing and listening "in the
air."

In short, a complex issue.

Me, I try to sound as little like a sick moose as possible when heard close
up (no small task in my case), and let the sound waves propogate where they
may!  :)

-S-