To: "The Horn List" <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] I can't bear it...

Bill Gross wrote:
Not all bearings are spherical.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 1:48 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] I can't bear it...

Well I can bear it but it's just something that's bugging me. Why are the valve spindles on rotary valves commonly misstated as 'bearings'?

A bearing is a sphere used to lessen friction between two parts,
right?

Isn't the correct term bushing?

True, there are roller bearings, etc. But there aren't any of those in my horns, either. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen a horn with a bearing of any kind in it, for any purpose.

Bushing IS the correct term. We just don't see it used much in this application. I gave up long ago, and figured if the folks who do this sort of work for a living want to call bushings bearings, it doesn't really matter that much to me.

For anyone interested in what bearings really are, though, here's a good resource:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/bearing.htm