I agree that Schmid horns are beautiful made, and as with all horns, in the
right hands sound terrific. (I can't play an 8D like Myron Bloom!)
However, I do want to put up a warning of something I've been seeing lately.
In the last month I have had 4 Schmid horns come through my shop - all with
redrot.  I have done some research on this matter and found that Schmid uses
chemicals to remove excess solder on his horns.  These are typically very
caustic chemicals and Yamaha found that their use of Enthone was causing
their rot problems in the early eighties.  Some manufacturers use no
chemicals at all, and simply buff the extra solder away - a more labor
intensive process.
If you own a Schmid horn, check your 3rd F and the Bb return slide (the one
that comes from the first valve and goes underneath the cluster to the 4th
valve) for little red dots.  Most of the horns I have been seeing are all
around 2 - 4 years old (far too young to have this problem).
Hopefully this problem is limited to a very few horns as they are so highly
respected.

Sincerely,
Ken Pope

"Just Put Your Lips Together And Blow...."
http://www.poperepair.com
US Dealer:  Kuhn Horns & Bonna Cases
Pope Instrument Repair
80 Wenham Street