"Mit aufgehobenem Schalltrichter" translates into "with
lifted up bell" & explains as: lift the bell a bit sidewards
& keep the hand a bit more open than usual so to create a
somewhat "hollow" broad sound, like playing in a long marble
plated gallery or in the deep forrest.

"mit aufwärts gerichtetem Schalltrichter" translates "with
the bell pointed upwards" & explains as: bell up.

Mahler exaggerated his playing instructions very often. Even
"bell up" is a visual point, it is not necessary nor is it
wise (regarding intonation) to follow this instructions
point by point. We have different means to create the same
acoustical effect. Our horns produce a more powerful sound
as the single horns of his time. Even Vienna Phil horns
started developing the very strong sound during the
1875-1910 period.

We can lift the horn a bit side wards (not into your
neighbours face , ear or body) between the several players,
open the bell hand more or in the 2nd way dramatically more
than usual, change the air support to use more air as usual,
and we get the same effect WITHOUT the defect of bad
intonation, as the right hand is still there to correct.

Be naive, ask your conductor how he would translate it.
Mostly, he cannot explain it right. Show him the difference
between the "word-by-word" interpretation and the way I
recommend & ask him about his preference of the offered
results (sound & intonation), "babblig something about
insecurity, danger of cracking a note or two, thus
destroying the beauty of the work, danger for the health of
the neighbour player if the left ear would be exposed to
this extreme sound ....".

See for more Mahler terms on my home page

www.pizka.de/GMahler2.htm

Using the terms, you can screw the conductor.