> Part of your responsibility is to point out the potential problem

> Why is it that most people have far greater wisdom assessing blame
> than they do for recognizing responsibility

My, how condescending we are. I tried reading it some other way, but to no
avail.

It is most certainly NOT "my responsibility" to "point out a potential
problem." It is my responsibility to

1) serve the music, and
2) play what the conductor wants to hear, regardless if he is able to
communicate through his stick technique.

Once upon a time, I made a living with my horn. As 1st horn, I sat in the
hot seat, or rather, as hot a seat as my abilities afforded me at the time.
And during those years I have sat through many rehearsals where valuable
time was wasted by someone "pointing out potential problems" to the
conductor and the group. One wonders if these "helpers" would be so chatty
if their episodes of pontification weren't accompanied by the warm fuzzy
feeling they get when hi-jacking a rehearsal... or so it seems.

I'll bet we've all it happen: Playing "Happy Birthday" in the key of C, and
ONE CLARINET (for instance) PART, has an Eb written on the tonic chord in
the final cadence. Stymied, the player's hand goes up and rehearsal grinds
to a halt on behalf of the unarmed gunman:

"Uhhh, can I have a note check please. Y'see, everyone seems to be playing a
different note than mine and I was wondering if maybe... <snip>.

The performance in question concerned a small wind group + percussion/piano
accompanying an amateur chorus. The conductor is a friend of mine, so mind
games were not in order here. There were no cues given during the entire
rehearsal, nor were any forthcoming during the performance.. There also was
no eye contact at any time. The conductor marked time with his stick while
he stared at the score. From this, we, as professionals, were paid to
extract a stirring performance. And we did. The conductor was beaming
afterwards, and "beaming" is a lot different from a cold, "good job." A good
worker with a right heart will not mind making his boss look good... even
when he might not deserve the applause. Perhaps he deserved the applause for
being the kind of person who would hire the kind of people who would be
willing to help rather than hinder his efforts. And who is also the kind of
person for whom such people are willing to give their best.

***
> Responsibility is completely under your own control

And I used it. Rather, "we" used it. The ensemble had a short meeting of the
minds concerning how to handle the problem areas. We formulated a plan and
stuck to it. It worked.

I'll forgive your air if you're willing to forgive me if I've misread your
intent. On second thought, I forgive you regardless. That ***is*** my
responsibility.

jrc in SC