Hi,

With all the talk about conductors, I figure I might
as well jump in.

Personally, I have respect for anyone with the brass
to get in front of a bunch of musicians who by their
very nature can be rather unforgiving. It's pretty
safe to say that the vast majority of us will never
swing a stick.

I used to be just as vocal as the next when I was
dissatisfied with a conductor. It wasn't until I got
on the podium that it hit me like a Mack truck that
conducting is far more difficult than it looks from
either side, either the risers or the audience. The
first thing I ever conducted was a Sousa march that I
knew backwards and forwards. But it's amazing how much
you forget when you are facing the music, so to speak.
As players, we're so used to following the leader that
being the leader is pretty daunting.

Fact is, conductors are human too, and even the great
ones screw up from time to time. I remember playing
under a very well-known and respected conductor; he
made a mistake during the third movement of
Lincolnshire Posy, and the band followed him to the
letter and made the mistake sound like it was
intended. The nasty little critic from the paper
didn't even catch it. That comes with being attuned to
not only your fellow musicians, but your conductor as
well. I think that is one of the responsibilities of a
good ensemble - you have to be ready to bail out your
conductor on the rare occasions that he or she will
need it. It's a great thing to accomplish your own
mission, but it is truly wonderful to have the ability
to support a fellow musician in the accomplishment of
their mission. Case in point - the performance of the
Strauss Serenade for Winds a few years ago, with me in
the principal horn chair. The principal oboe was a
freshman, and it was her first big chance in the
principal chair, and she was terrified. I told her to
just relax and play how she wanted to play, and I
would follow her, and catch her if she fell. She
played flawlessly, and I refused to share the bow with
her at the end. Oh, yeah...the performance was the
conductor's master's recital.

On another occasion, while playing Mahler 3, the
conductor, a very accomplished conductor and
interpreter, lost it about 5 bars into the last
movement. You could tell the orchestra was trying like
hell to hold it together, but couldn't. He stopped the
orchestra, turned to the audience, and said,
"sometimes, it just doesn't work." He restarted the
last movement, and we played it out...probably a
little better than we would have if there had been no
error.

I also could never figure out which is more difficult
- being a wind player and knowing nothing about
strings, or being a string player and knowing nothing
about winds. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Gary

Get Firefox!!http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html