As I was looking at horn pictures, I found the following:

http://www.hornsaplenty.com/horns/2_1258.html

I noticed that the bell of this horn slopes at about the same angle, making it resemble a funnel (or a little chocolate "Hershey's Kiss"). Investigating further, found that early horns had similar bells. However, bells are not shaped that way now. What acoustical differences are there because of the "Hershey's Kiss" bell? Why are bells shaped differently now? Was this change gradual, based on trial and error, or is there a certain horn that changed the ideas about bell shape? I would appreciate any responses to any question.

Thank You,
William Foss

"The various viewpoints on Horn tone are held with such fierce devotion that one encounters otherwise in religious controversies." -Gunther Schuller