In a message dated 6/12/05 9:52:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have been trying to learn double tonguing the past few months, but I am
> running into multiple problems.  For starters, I can only double tongue one
> 'group' of notes at a time (one tuh'kah).  I can't make myself do a string
> of double tonguing for any length.

That's fine practice a string of 1 8th and 2 16th's. Some people have trouble
with hard syllables so try doh goh. Kah and hard sounds   from the throat
stop the area and make it hard to repeat the pattern. You need maximum air
coming
forward for this to work. Think about a surfer riding on top of a wave. Your
tongue is riding on the wave (air) and that air is propelling your tongue
forward. Shorten the stroke of your tongue as it retracts into your mouth, it
does
not need to move very far, what creates the start of the note is the strike
against your teeth or the roof of your mouth not the backward movement.
Remember you need to interrupt the air not stop it. So use a soft sound in your
throat and make the sound forward an up in your throat. Each individual needs
find the best syllable that creates the start of the note without stopping the
air. These notes are a line not individual hits on a drum head.

> Secondly, I can't seem to start right off on a double tongue.  For example,
> I can play and eighth note then two sixteenths, but if I try to play two
> sixteenths and then an eighth note my tongue messes up and I end up playing
> a extra unwanted note before the double tongue.

I don't know how much you are working on this everyday but it is not unusual
to have trouble starting a pattern.
Some people, said practice away from the horn, which is great advice. Master
the 8th, 2 16th's pattern than   move on to starting the 2 16ths. Once you
find the best syllables for you the 2 16th's should be easier

Debbie Schmidt
Tisch center for the Arts