A clarinet friend of mine frequents www.woodwind.org, which has more
information that you will ever want to know about the clarinet, including a
forum-style message board.  There is also
http://test.woodwind.org/oboe/BBoard/index.html, which is what you are probably
most interested in perusing.

I personally played both horn and tenor trombone from high school through
undergrad, and only put the trombone down when I went to grad school for horn.
During my undergrad I played horn in the orchestra and wind ensemble, and was
in the top jazz ensemble with trombone.  I didn't think either affected the
other in a bad way, I consider myself lucky to have a jazz background (helps
with those Fripperies), and my lip trills sounded great on a trombone, lol.

Best,
Cathleen

Steve Freides <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My son plays both the trumpet and the french horn. So far, the double is
working out very nicely for him. He's 12 years old, has been playing jazz
trumpet for four years and classical horn for two. The jazz/classical
distinction works well, in my opinion, as he's not trying to do musically
similar things on both instruments.

For my own edification as I consider instrument choices for my other son,
who is only eight years old, I'd like to know about woodwind doubles, in
particular playing a double reed instrument like the oboe while also playing
a single reed instrument like the clarinet or saxophone (or even a no-reed
instrument like the flute).

If anyone is aware of a woodwind list similar to this one for horn, or one
specifically geared to the oboe, please send along any sign-up information.
It looks like my youngest will start on oboe in a few weeks.

Thanks, and apologies if this message isn't horny enough. :)

-S-