In a message dated 6/22/2005 12:13:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

That  makes me wonder -- do tuba players ever use USA quarters as
touch-pieces  on the valve-levers of rotary-valve tubas?

If so, I know  why.

But if not, why not?

Yes, they certainly do, especially on the fourth valve lever.

Some horn players use them on the thumb lever as an extension, as  well.
Usually they have to be bent before soldering for ergonomic  reasons.

Horn players prefer, about 2 to 1, to use Liberty Head dimes when soldering
on coin extensions.  It's almost de riguer to use dimes coined in the year  of
manufacture of your instrument, if available.  Canadian sailboat dimes  are
very popular, as well.  I prefer concave finger buttons, such as those  used on
Lawson horns, for the very positive feeling you get when you touch  them.

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited, Inc.