OK Bill - you've opened a door, and I hope you're not sorry!  Not only is the
new Boston tubist a former member of a DCI corps, but so is the new principal
trumpet of the Chicago Symphony.  There is also a former DCI member in the Met
trumpet section.  Al Chez, trumpet player for David Lettermen, did his time in
corps, as has at least one studio French horn player out in LA.  Jazz
improvisation has not escaped the world of the horn - Chris Komer, a very well
known NY based free lance player (as well as NJ symphony 3rd  horn and Burning
River Brass member) marched with a very good group from California and is an
amazing improvisation talent!  And the Boston Brass features a former DCI
marcher on horn.

There are others of us out there in less glamorous positions - players who not
only survived the experience of marching and playing at the same time (yes - it
can be done!), but have gone on to make a few shekels at it, too.

If you're really interested in what some former drum corps members have done
since their 'misspent' youth - purchase and listen to the disk I've linked
below.  It showcases a very wide range of styles and performances - from French
Horn octets (with some incredible performances, including a guy who plays
higher than Tuckwell!), solo Cello, solo Marimba, a jazz tuba group, some rock
and Latino based ensembles, and some all brass 'big band' style groups.  This
last group features your son's friend, Adam Rappa, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.bluedevils.org/merchandise/product_info.php?products_id=87

Sandra Clark
Toledo, OH