Braces which are attached behind the teeth, rather than in front, may be
ideal for brass musicians who wish to continue playing while the braces are
on.  You can do a Google search for "lingual orthodontics" (which is what
this is called).  There was a presentation at the International Horn Society
in June on this (by a dentist and hornplayer), and it sounded quite
interesting.

Bob Williams

We've just been told my son, who will be 13 in a month or two, needs braces.
I recall a discussion of an alternative kind of braces that, while a bit
more expensive, worked better.  Anyone have any specifics they can tell me?
My son plays both horn and trumpet and the going is started starting to heat
up for him as he has his first auditions for county-level band and the like
this Fall.

Thanks very much in advance.  I will pass any information along to the
orthodontist and let her make the final decision, of course.

-S-