>From Roscoe Raven in Bermuda:
The concertmaster of a very famous orchestra once told me:
'Anyone can prepare a fast solo piece. We give candidates something slow to
play, because that sorts out the real musicians from the mere NASCAR
enthusiasts'.
Another good piece of advice from an orchestra principal-if you have the choice
of a very difficult solo and one not so difficult that you play better, always
play the easier solo.

Incidentally, I had a friend who was very good at psyching out the competition
at auditions-he used to take a pregnant woman with him  into the warm-up room
(not neccessarily his own-he was quite shameless about borrowing other peoples'
pregnant women).
Her job was to sit in a corner twisting a handkerchief between her fingers,
watching him with eyes full of love, and occasionally saying softly: 'Oh
James...I do hope you do well this time'.
It was a very effective morale-buster!