I have had a lot of hand therapy in my lifetime, and surgery on my
left hand. There are two things that keep me well now.... Yoga and a
rubber squeeze-ball, which I keep next to my computer nouse. When I
travel, I take a tennis ball. That way, if you lose it, no biggie.
Also makes a wierd MUTE!

Seiously tho, do you have your pinky pointed out, extended into
"martini" pose? Or is it wrapped around a hook on the horn? Not all
horns have this..... Having one or the lack of one could be
problematic, depending upon your own individuality.  See what others
have to say... this is just something that worked for me... I like
your balloons idea the best.... see if you can blow one up to around
7" diameter.... they resonate nicely at that diameter to high-"C",
making it sound like there are more horns playing than there really
are.... kinda like the guys who play 12-string guitars, if you will
pardon the comparison!

Insincerely, (grin!),
Don Elliot