I play a trumcor 45 as well. I know trumcor makes a mute for the larger
throated horns as well, particularly the 8D. If that mute is as good as the 45,
then you will get more than your money's worth. Check out trumcor.com to read
up on it. Happy hunting.

 Nick

C G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am in some dire need of advice. I'm heading into my fourth year undergrad
and am still playing on the little sneezy red/white Humes stone-lined mute
that is available anywhere and everywhere. I am looking to get a new mute
this month.

I play on a Yamaha 668ND (2003 purchased/made?). I tend to play with a
middle area sound, not really notably bright, but tending to be darker. Can
anyone suggest to me a mute that would compromise the nickel of my horn,
perhaps the make/model, or my personal sound?
I'm assistant principal in our Wind Ensemble, behind our head chair who
plays a Holton with a Trumcor 45. If not contextual advice for my
tone/specific horn, could anyone recommend to me a reputable maker/vendor of
mutes that would be in the $130 or less price range?

The dilligent dilletante of Horn,
Casey

P.S. What is the update on personal opinion about non-professional players
such as myself? I've been playing for 11 years, have had private teachers
and won scholarships, but there still is the notable social rift between
those who "do-it-for-a-living" or the majors and those like myself. Don't
want to start up a disastrous discourse, but just care to inquire!