Jay Kosta
Endwell NY
amateur player
Gordon, Heather GOR04003 at byui.edu
wrote:

I'm in the market for a new mouthpiece.  I've been playing on my little
factory Fakas MDC for a few years now and it's served me well enough, but I
think I'm ready to pay some bank for something really great.  The rim size
on my farkas is the most comfortable I've used (I used to play on a King
H-2, if I remember right, but it was too big for me).  My problem is that I
want a deeper cup and something that resonates well, but my face is quite
small.  Anything deep enough for me is too big for my face.  I've been
looking at Storks recently.  I haven't gotten to the audition stage yet,
but I want to narrow the selection down a bit first (since mouthpiece
trials are difficult to arrange where i'm the only horn player in town).
My first quesiton is what have people heard about the Myers and Orval
series' of Stork mouthpieces.  I know it really depends per the player, but
I don't even know what the physical difference is right now.

My main question is, how does the metal make a difference?  I've seen a lot
of options for what they can be made out of.  Is it strictly aesthetic, or
is there a real difference in the sound?  What's the difference between
silver, silver w/ gold rim, gold, satin gold, satin silver, etc.  I don't
want to pay $30 for something that won't make a difference.  Is there an
acoustical difference?  Does it change the resonance?  I have a rosebrass
horn because I like the sound of rosebrass, but does it make a difference
in mouthpieces?

Thanks,
Heather