"Dear list,

I am currently at a music camp in Saratoga, NY. I was in brass quintet
practice yesterday, and my first valve freezes up just like that. I had

oiled it earlier that day, and I vastly depleted my stock trying to get

it back up to an adequate speed. It is still a bit sluggish, and I'm
worried that something major has happened to it, because I can pinpoint

the exact moment it froze up. Also, it only feels sluggish when I'm
playing or putting air through the horn. If I'm just moving the valves
for
fingering through something or casually flicking them during long
periods of rest, it is fine. I have a spare horn on it's way, but I'd
rather
fix this one than try and play on a new one. There is no repair shop
within an accessable distance to me, so if the solution is easy enough
for me to perform myself, that would be great. If it makes a
difference,
I play a Conn 10D.  Thanks.

 The nervous hornist,
Nick"

Nick,

     Another possibility is that you've washed a bit of slide grease
into the valve when you oiled it.  Borrow all the valve oil you can and
flush it, being VERY careful not to let the oil run down the slide
tubes.  Eventually it will free up as you dilute whatever is in there.
If you feel comfortable doing so, you can also just take the valve out
and wash it with some dishwashing detergent.

Stuart de Haro

Stuart A. de Haro,
Custom Horns, Leadpipes, Brass Repair and Modification
(217) 377-1462
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.deharohorns.com