Catherine,

I'm with Bill and others.  Get the surgery done (and done correctly,
sounds your oral surgeon is giving you good service), get a note from
him/her with specific instructions, and then go to college knowing that
you may not be at your best but you will have 3 years to recover from
the first one.

Remember also that you are going to be at the bottom of the heap
in college.  You may be thrown in over your head at first, so let the
older students take the lead and learn from them.  After being the top
dog in my region all during high school my first year in college was
an amazing learning experience.  I was placed on 2nd horn in the
orchestra, a role I had never filled before (I had only been playing in
an orchestra for a year before this), and I spent the entire year
struggling to keep up with the other 3 who were much more experienced.
And I got stuff thrown at me that made my teacher nervous, let alone
someone with no low register who was playing Beethoven 7.

Take it easy, rebuild, learn, and remember its only 1 year of four.
Have fun, find your place, and find your lip.  And work with your new
teacher to rebuild.  In fact, call the college and ask how you can contact
him/her now so you can begin discussing your problem.

Margaret