Hans Pizka wrote:

---------------
READ MY MESSAGE TO THIS MATTER, PLEASE; READ IT CAREFULLY.

IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING - AND I HAVE PLAYED THIS SOLO to
manytimes in performances (may-be 200times) and for myself.
And my fortissimo (at the end) is probably some 20-30 db
louder than anybody else (except a handful of players), so I
know about the problem (also head ache sometimes, near
passing out sometimes because of too much tension, wrong lip
opening etc.). NOT A CASE FOR A DOCTOR !!!!!!!!

Please, friends, hold back with your advice if you dont know
the matter from real world, please !!!!!!

Even though I almost never post, I felt compelled to respond.

I hope nobody listens to Hans's advice not to see a doctor about any physical discomfort or pain that might come from playing. In his next post, Hans said that a doctor can't help your horn playing. That's true. Just as true is that a horn player, no matter how good, shouldn't be giving you medical advice.

If something is painful, I vote for seeing a doctor about it. It won't help your horn playing, but it could save your life!

Matt Pollack
Topsham, Maine